Who We Are
A 501 (c) 3 not for profit organization committed to improving the English and reading skills of adults and children throughout Lee County, Hendry, and North Collier County, including Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Lehigh Acres, LaBelle and Naples.
Where We Are
Our headquarters is at 26820 Old 41 Road, Bonita Springs, FL 34135
Where We've Been
LCGC was created in 2011 by a merger between Literacy Volunteers of Lee County and the Literacy Council of Bonita Springs. We’ve been helping students improve their literacy skills since 1989.
What We Do
The Council trains volunteers to help students acquire English skills. One-on-one and group classes are offered, free of charge. We have more than 500 volunteer tutors, and are always looking for more!
What We Believe
We strive to create a strong sense of family and hold strongly to the following:
- We believe in the power of literacy to improve the lives of our students, their families, communities and society.
- We believe in providing our students with the highest quality of literacy education and related services where respect, integrity, inquiry, creativity and diversity contribute to individual achievement and the transformation of lives and communities.
- We believe in the power of tutors and our partners to make a difference in the lives of our students, helping them to reach their full potential.
Adults who want to read and write better English, adults who want to learn English to improve their quality of life, and parents and their pre-school children eager to insure that the children begin school ready to learn. About 4,000 students study English with us each year.
We teach students from 40 different countries. Students come from all countries in South and Central America, Haiti, France, Germany, Albania, Romania, Spain, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, Slovakia, Greece, China, Viet Nam, South Korea, Thailand, and others.
- Resident-organized programs at golf and gated community worksites
- Moms & Tots® Family Literacy Programs throughout Southwest Florida
- Classes in U.S. citizenship, conversation, GED readiness, writing
- Specialized instruction in reading for learning disabled adults
Our Funding Sources
- Individual and community contributions
- Private foundation grants
- United Way of Lee County
LCGC is a not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) corporation. All donations are tax deductible.